This scholarship fund was created in memory of Baron P. “Deuce” Braswell II of Spotsylvania. Deuce was the son of Baron Braswell and Gwen Braswell-Nash. Deuce tragically died on January 20, 2006. He was a junior and an honor student at Courtland High School and a member of the football, basketball, baseball and track teams. He loved sports and always thanked God for his athletic abilities.
In establishing this scholarship, Deuce’s family and friends wish to recognize the dedication to sports and academics of four students from any high school in the counties of Spotsylvania, Stafford, King George, Caroline County or the City of Fredericksburg. Four scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded to two male and two female athletes from the school areas above.
To be eligible for the scholarship a student must:
1. Be a senior from any high school in the counties of Spotsylvania, Stafford, King George, Caroline County or the City of Fredericksburg
2. Have lettered in a varsity sport
1. Outline school extracurricular activities and community service (church, volunteer experience, etc.)
2. Include two letters of recommendation from different sources (teacher, counselor, coach or supervisor).
3. Submit an essay of 500 to 600 words explaining how your involvement in athletic activities helped you overcome personal challenges. Choose a single athletic experience you have had and explain why it was important. Also explain what sports you have been involved in during high school, what the experience has taught you about commitment and dedication, team work, and athletic conduct on and off the field and what you plan to do in the future.